Ghosting Tutorial? Please Help!

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2014 2:07 PM

What's up guys. I have seen a lot of photos and ads where the rider looks like a "ghost". He is transparent but you can still see what he is doing. Does anyone know how to achieve this effect? I'm thinking the photographers are using a slower shutter speed to blur the action, but how do they get the rider to be transparent?

If anyone knows how, please let me know. I really want to try it. Thanks!

|

3/29/2014 4:40 PM

Simplest explanation is a slow shutter speed with flash. Basically the flash is what freezes the rider and because you're using slow shutter speed once the rider leaves the scene the camera picks up the background as well which is what makes the rider ghostly.

A more advanced way for example from the god of BMX photography; Jeff Z is to trigger the flash after taking the photo. So for this photo he used a long shutter speed, took the photo before Broc Raiford entered the frame, and set off his flashes once Broc got to the nose bonk stage.

The shutter speed duration was as long as the time Broc entered and exited the frame hence the ghost trail.

Photo

|

4/1/2014 2:19 PM

brianoob wrote:

Simplest explanation is a slow shutter speed with flash. Basically the flash is what freezes the rider and because you're ...more

Alright, thanks man! I will have to get some flashes and try this out.

|