Recording in 60fps?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/17/2014 12:28 AM

so i film bikes obviously and whenever i upload them to youtube it kinda looks choppyish, like you can notice a little bit of lag, i think it might be just from me recording 720p 60fps so next time should I try 1080p for 30fps? leave answers below and thank you

|

2/17/2014 3:46 AM

Filming at 60 frames/sec should, in theory reduce the amount of "chop" or "lag". More frames/sec generally means smoother video, when edited and rendered correctly. I only record in 720p 60fps on a Canon 60D, and I did take notice that certain editing software doesn't seem to like the higher frame rate, but for the most part it looks better. I use Corel VideoStudio for most of my editing and rendering, and Sony Vegas for ramp slo-mo's and the such. Vegas is the only one I've ever had trouble with when using 60fps video. Maybe I just don't know how to use it well enough? I'd try using different editing software to render your videos, just as an experiment to see if it helps any.

|

2/17/2014 10:43 AM

30fps will look worse

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

2/17/2014 1:18 PM

ahh i see, I use a canon t3i and i edit with premiere pro so i guess people will have to deal with the small lag, the funny thing is, when i go slow motion in Post Production, the lag goes away, im confused

|

2/17/2014 8:13 PM

That's because when you render 60fps down to 30fps, you have to "cut out" 50% of the frames in a very basic sense. But at 50% of the original playback speed, that 60fps is actually playing at 30fps, if that makes any sense. Since you're technically already at 30fps during slow motion, your software doesn't have to "edit" out the extra frames during rendering, thus eliminating the lag. Think of it this way... Your camera basically takes 60 "pictures" or frames per second at 60fps. This means that during playback, it will display those same 60 frames within a one second time period. Now say you slow that same 60fps clip down to 50% of the original playback speed. The clip will now be showing the same amount of frames, but at half the speed. So instead of 60 frames being displayed in one second, those 60 frames will be played over a course of two seconds. 60fps technically becomes 30fps, give or take a few frames should you slow above or below 50%. The 30fps clip will then render as if it was shot that way in the first place, but the slow motion will be much, much cleaner than taking a 30fps clip and slowing it to ~15fps. Hope that helps some.

|

2/17/2014 8:15 PM

The Rebel T3i is a great camera to use for filming by the way. I loved mine when I had one. I only got rid of it to pick up a 60D. I wanted the extra features, plus for the price I got it for, I couldn't turn it down. But your camera/software choice seems to be pretty respectable.

|

2/18/2014 11:53 AM

zchurch94 wrote:

That's because when you render 60fps down to 30fps, you have to "cut out" 50% of the frames in a very basic sense. But at 50% ...more

but i render the video in premiere to 59.94fps, same as my camera shoots, and you dont have to use the "very basic sense" lol,

|

2/18/2014 12:10 PM

Hmm, I'm stumped then. That's really odd that it would lag if rendered at 60 frames/sec.

|

2/18/2014 12:21 PM

zchurch94 wrote:

Hmm, I'm stumped then. That's really odd that it would lag if rendered at 60 frames/sec.

It might just be my computer not being able to view the video as clear as it is, possibly my CPU isnt strong enough to view the video in the quality as it is

|

2/18/2014 12:30 PM

Could be.. what are you running for your editing machine?

|

2/18/2014 12:30 PM

Oh my god i just realized why i saw a "Lag", 60fps can track faster moving objects, wouldnt that mean that if there's something moving fast, in the fisheye it looks kinda slow, but as soon as it gets to the center of the lens, it looks fast... so maybe its the camera going from slow to fast very quickly

|

2/27/2014 7:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2014 7:08 PM

Ive noticed that certain things like youtube do better with different "speeds" for lack of a better term. Like zach Krejmas(admin) mentioned that the vital player lags at 60 but is smooth at 30. Try using vimeo. Unless it is lagging before you even upload it. then that would be something different.

edit: so people don't think im crazy.

"Personally, I've learned through trial and error that when uploading to the Vital player, I need to export at 30fps. For some reason 60fps doesn't translate as well on our player and the motion looks a bit choppy compared to a 30fps export. I'm not sure if it's the same case on YouTube but you might want to give it a shot.

Also, not sure if people know this (I know I've made the mistake before), but it's always best to export your full quality/uncompressed sequence first, then put that file into a new sequence to re-export the compressed version. That way the original stays perfectly intact and won't become damaged if you make some irreversible sequence setting mistake.

I want to come out to the dez real soon man! I'll let you know." - Zach Krejmas

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!