Heavy riders?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2018 12:13 PM

What's up I'm big d, I'm looking to get back into riding but I need to know what size bike I should get I used to ride alot when I was young now I'm 6' 2" 290 lbs. I love riding vert but need to know, what tires and tubes and chain and size bike I should use?

|

5/9/2018 7:53 AM

Well, size is a preference. But if you were looking to REALLY ride... like you used to... or at least get back to that point, I'd try to find a frame wit ha TT or at least 21" but up to 21.75" (the latter, much harder to find). 21" bikes are easier to come by & the larger the frame, the more difficult it will be to find.... especially in a "complete". From a custom frame standpoint, you can find 21.25" up to about 22" tt available "off the shelf", but you will pay more. I'd look in the used market (this forum is a great resource for used & you might be able to find a deal on a larger frame). FB Marketplace, Craigslist, Letgo, etc...; Those are some of the choices you may have, Problem is, MANY of the sellers seemingly don't know a thing about BMX or what they have. As such, it's hard to discern what you are looking at & it takes a lot of research to be sure you are buying what you want. Lastly, for durability reasons, I wouldn't look at anything that isn't 100% full chromoly frame, fork, bars, and cranks. IF you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. You'll, most likely, get a faster response by posting in the general BMX area.

|

8/15/2018 7:24 PM

Look at s&m frmaes 22" 24" all chromoly.

|

11/28/2018 5:11 PM

|

1/3/2019 8:25 AM

Cant believe they put Grosso in that vid. he is not big by any means, and a legend at that- dissrespectful

|

9/26/2019 6:12 PM

Sunday

|

10/2/2019 9:30 AM

Mike_Browning wrote:

What's up I'm big d, I'm looking to get back into riding but I need to know what size bike I should get I used to ride alot ...more

If you go to a online site like Albes and click on BMX Bikes, you can search by size (22", 24", 26", 29") and look at the bigger bikes that will fit you best..

https://www.albes.com/bikes/24-inch-bmx-bikes/

I'm kinda like you. I'm 6'4" and over 250 lbs a 20" bike is a definite no go for me. I test rode a 26" Fit bike at a local bike shop and it was pretty cool. I just wished there were a few local shops with a decent selection of 24" or bigger, that I could test ride.

|

10/2/2019 11:02 AM

No one is too tall for 20” wheels. Just get a frame with a longer tt and higher so. If you don’t believe me watch Brian Castillo’s section from bmx inferno. Maybe a 22”, if you really feel the need to. But any bigger and it stops being a proper bmx. Bigger wheeled bikes simply don’t handle like a 20”

|

10/2/2019 12:39 PM

I'm 6'-2" 250 lbs. I ride a 21" top tube with a top load stem, and 10" tall bars. My buddy is 6'-4" 300 lbs and he rides the same as I do. Just different brands. I peddled around on a 22". after riding a 20" for years the 22" felt sluggish.

I ride demolition momentem tires size 2.2. tubes I got from a local shop on clearance. they've lasted me years.

As a heavier rider a strong chain is a must. I ride the KMC kool chain 710. I've rode that chain for almost 5 years now. Thats the best bang for the buck imo. you could always do the shadow supreme chain. It's a half link, so it will be easier to get the right length. it's problably the strongest bike chain out there, but it is really expensive.

I've ridden the same bike for almost 5 years on mostly park, and vert, but iv'e ridden a street, and trails too. I had to replace tires once, but that's it.

|

10/2/2019 12:48 PM

Check out this dude. I guess he's 6'-4".

|