Marcus Tooker Q&A ***NOT ACTIVE***

Related:
Create New Tag

12/4/2009 9:28 PM

Here's a great guy who's had a hell of a summer, getting picked up again by haro, killing it on the dew tour and graduating from college all the while traveling the world and doing some awesome riding.

You've all seen him ride if you haven't been living under a rock.

Marcus lives in greenville nc and rides for haro and osiris (I think there's more but I can't remember right now, feel free to add the rest in marcus). He's an awesome guy, I've never seen him without a smile on his face and he's a super nice guy too! He taught me backflips last spring and hope to learn some more from him in the near future!

All yours Marcus...

|

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

12/4/2009 9:40 PM

cool. im thinking about going to college in greenville. i love to ride and ride every day. would it be a good choice for me to go to college out there?

and if it makes any difference, i would be going to college for videography or somthing to do with video/editing.

thanks.

|

Vital's Official New Mod!

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

12/4/2009 10:29 PM

college in greenville is ECU also known as party central.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

12/5/2009 5:31 AM

Hey Marcus, how did your sponsorship with Haro come about?

Thanks

|

"Oh You Mad Cuz I'm Stylin On You?"

12/5/2009 6:46 AM

cupovjoe wrote:

my sister went there and got pregnate

|

|D)--/\-/\--\-/------------
|D)-/- \/-\-/-\------------
----------------------------

12/5/2009 7:28 AM

what got you into the sport?

|

Biggest troll.

12/5/2009 9:09 AM

Hey Marcus,

Growing up, was it difficult to balance your school work with your riding?

thanks, Justin

|

12/5/2009 9:40 AM

lol did you have time for college parties? with school and riding

|

Boxman for President

12/5/2009 9:42 AM

what was your major in college? I'm a junior in high school at the moment, and i have no idea what I want to do in college, or even if i want to go to college. I just want to ride my bike, did you have a lot of free time to ride?

|

12/5/2009 3:16 PM

cupovjoe wrote:

Fuquayridernc wrote:

my sister went there and got pregnate

who are you?

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

12/5/2009 9:48 PM

I see that you ride park a lot. How often do you ride street? Which do you think you are better at, street or park?

|

REFS- purplerain814, robamullen, TommyBoy, letsride123

12/6/2009 6:43 AM

Hey everybody!! Thanks for the questions, hopefully I'll get ya some answers you like.

abod - Absolutely!!! Come down and look at the school and I guarantee you won't be able to let yourself go anywhere else. Greenville is so awesome because you can go to school during the day and ride the best ramps in the world all night. Not to mention the street on campus and around Greenville is pretty fun. Greenville is a magical place, but you have to come see for yourself. Your profile says you're from New Jersey, and there are actually a ton of kids from Jersey that go to school here. As for the videography thing, I'm pretty sure they have a real good program. Terrell Gordy (the guy who edits about half the videos on VitalBMX) went to school at ECU for videography and he is pretty amazing at what he does. Also, if you get down here soon you might find yourself in some classes with Dan Foley. He's a freshman this year in the videography program. So get your ass to Greenville, you will love it!!!

Cupovjoe - ECU definitely has that party school reputation. It's a fun scene for sure but it's definitely what you make it.

Liam163 - It's kind of hard to say, I don't think it was just one thing. I know a bunch of people at the company and I love their stuff. Haro is a great company and I'm definitely lucky to be part of their company. It's kind of weird how things work, because before I ever rode for Haro, I rode a Haro, haha.

Fuquayridernc - Not sure what to tell you about that. How are those trails I keep hearing about in FuquayVarina?

I ride fit - Yea, I made it to a party or two, hahaha. I'm not the biggest party guy but I'd go hang out if I had the time. There have been a lot of nights when people are headed to the bar and me and a few friends are headed to the late night session at the unit. Most of the time that's more fun anyway, but a good balance of everything is the best for sure.

SEANimal757 - Bad News VA!!! I love it up there in the 757!!! I majored in Business, specifically in Small Business Management. I can remember being in your situation exactly. I would argue for hours with my parents and guidance councilor about how I didn't want to go to college, I just wanted to ride and travel. The thing is, there's a ton of free time in college and if you balance things right, you have plenty of time to do whatever it is you wanna do. A real job takes up way more of your time than college will, and college is way more fun anyway. There were definitely a few trips I missed out on because I had to be in Greenville for school, but the majority of them I could figure out a way to get away. The professors are super understanding at ECU if you just explain to them what you're doing. I hardly looked at colleges until I was a senior so you're way ahead of where I was if you're a junior and looking. That's pretty smart of you, I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

BMX 24 - I go through fazes with what I like to ride. I definitely ride ramps a lot more than I ride street, but there's something special about a great street session. I've actually been riding a lot more street lately, I've hardly wanted to touch a ramp this last month. I don't really know why it works like that but it does for me. I'm definitely not as good on street, but I have a ton of fun riding it. I like going fast and jumping over stuff, haha. It's the best feeling for sure.

Thanks for the questions everyone, this is fun, keep them coming!!

-marcus

|

12/6/2009 8:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2009 8:16 AM

Your favorite trick to pull? And how long did it take you to land it?

|

12/6/2009 9:52 AM

What was it like from riding with no benefits, or being paid, to being sponsored?

|

My nigga Ressler, stay up!
My nigga Babysatan, stay up!
My nigga Copiolet, stay up!
My nigga DakAttack, stay up!
My nigga NCDave, stay up!
My nigga Enzo, stay up!

And I ride for my niggas

12/6/2009 3:51 PM

tooker wrote:

Hey everybody!! Thanks for the questions, hopefully I'll get ya some answers you like.

abod - Absolutely!!! Come down and look at the school and I guarantee you won't be able to let yourself go anywhere else. Greenville is so awesome because you can go to school during the day and ride the best ramps in the world all night. Not to mention the street on campus and around Greenville is pretty fun. Greenville is a magical place, but you have to come see for yourself. Your profile says you're from New Jersey, and there are actually a ton of kids from Jersey that go to school here. As for the videography thing, I'm pretty sure they have a real good program. Terrell Gordy (the guy who edits about half the videos on VitalBMX) went to school at ECU for videography and he is pretty amazing at what he does. Also, if you get down here soon you might find yourself in some classes with Dan Foley. He's a freshman this year in the videography program. So get your ass to Greenville, you will love it!!!

Cupovjoe - ECU definitely has that party school reputation. It's a fun scene for sure but it's definitely what you make it.

Liam163 - It's kind of hard to say, I don't think it was just one thing. I know a bunch of people at the company and I love their stuff. Haro is a great company and I'm definitely lucky to be part of their company. It's kind of weird how things work, because before I ever rode for Haro, I rode a Haro, haha.

Fuquayridernc - Not sure what to tell you about that. How are those trails I keep hearing about in FuquayVarina?

I ride fit - Yea, I made it to a party or two, hahaha. I'm not the biggest party guy but I'd go hang out if I had the time. There have been a lot of nights when people are headed to the bar and me and a few friends are headed to the late night session at the unit. Most of the time that's more fun anyway, but a good balance of everything is the best for sure.

SEANimal757 - Bad News VA!!! I love it up there in the 757!!! I majored in Business, specifically in Small Business Management. I can remember being in your situation exactly. I would argue for hours with my parents and guidance councilor about how I didn't want to go to college, I just wanted to ride and travel. The thing is, there's a ton of free time in college and if you balance things right, you have plenty of time to do whatever it is you wanna do. A real job takes up way more of your time than college will, and college is way more fun anyway. There were definitely a few trips I missed out on because I had to be in Greenville for school, but the majority of them I could figure out a way to get away. The professors are super understanding at ECU if you just explain to them what you're doing. I hardly looked at colleges until I was a senior so you're way ahead of where I was if you're a junior and looking. That's pretty smart of you, I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

BMX 24 - I go through fazes with what I like to ride. I definitely ride ramps a lot more than I ride street, but there's something special about a great street session. I've actually been riding a lot more street lately, I've hardly wanted to touch a ramp this last month. I don't really know why it works like that but it does for me. I'm definitely not as good on street, but I have a ton of fun riding it. I like going fast and jumping over stuff, haha. It's the best feeling for sure.

Thanks for the questions everyone, this is fun, keep them coming!!

-marcus

okay sweet. i will definitely come check it out. last april i stayed at my uncles house in virginia and was going to ride greenville but i didnt know anyone so i didnt really want to go 2 1/2 3 hours to just ride JC. hopefully i will make it down this year since i will be able to drive. yeah i was talking to dan about it last summer before i even got into shooting videos so i knew in the back of my mind that ECU had a program for videography so i kind of just put the pieces together and figured out thats where i want to go. im pretty stoked and thanks for answering my question. hopefully i will see you down there!

|

Vital's Official New Mod!

FOR SALE MUST CLICK!!!

12/6/2009 5:21 PM

Fuquay is limping along right now. its "sister" trails shotgun are really doing good though and definitely worth a trip out especially since they were worth filming death of fun at. Fuquay trails are made of sand so they die every summer and rise again during the winter. problem is that no one wants to work there anymore since the neighborhood kids just wreck the place every weekend.

|

Bike check?

12/7/2009 9:02 AM

how do you force yourself to learn a new trick
im learning barspins on a box and can never seem to keep my foot on, any advice?

|

12/8/2009 8:09 AM

Big bar flow wrote:

Your favorite trick to pull? And how long did it take you to land it?

Oh man, there's so many. I think I'm gonna have to go with a simple spine 360 on this one. though. I don't know why, but I love them. Especially when they're kinda big and nosed in good. You just get a good pump out of it, and it's the best feeling. I'm not really sure how long it took me to land it the way I like them but I know it wasn't overnight. I did a lot of bad ones before the first good one though, that's for sure.

|

12/8/2009 8:14 AM

JustRideBMX wrote:

What was it like from riding with no benefits, or being paid, to being sponsored?

Honestly the bike riding part is exactly the same. I'd be riding just as much and the same way if I was or wasn't sponsored. Being sponsored is pretty cool, but it's definitely not the beginning and ending of bike riding.

|

12/8/2009 8:16 AM

cupovjoe wrote:

Fuquay is limping along right now. its "sister" trails shotgun are really doing good though and definitely worth a trip out especially since they were worth filming death of fun at. Fuquay trails are made of sand so they die every summer and rise again during the winter. problem is that no one wants to work there anymore since the neighborhood kids just wreck the place every weekend.

I hear ya on that. When I lived on Cape Cod we would always try and have trails under the powerlines, but Cape Cod is one big beach so all we had was sand. And I'm pretty sure getting people to dig will be a problem for the rest of time. Maybe I'll make it up to shotgun one of these days.

|

12/8/2009 8:29 AM

ben c wrote:

im learning barspins on a box and can never seem to keep my foot on, any advice?

Don't force it man, just let it happen. Sometimes you have to leave a trick alone for a little while and just come back to it later. If you force it, it might never work. I used to try 720s all the time and just had a horrible spin that would never work. Then I just didn't try them for a long time. Then one afternoon I tried a few and they just worked. I had no idea why, but I was psyched cause I had learned 720s.

Barspins are a fun one though, and I can see why you wanna learn them. I remember learning them flyout out of this 8' cement bowl. I would usually just jump a few time and try and pinch the seat to get a feel for it. Once I was ready, I just committed, pinched the seat and threw them. It's all about commitment with barspins, just be ready and toss those bars around. You'll get it.

|

12/8/2009 8:31 AM

This quoting thing is way easier than the way I was doing it before. Keep them coming!!!

|

12/8/2009 8:45 AM

ben c wrote:

tooker wrote:

Don't force it man, just let it happen. Sometimes you have to leave a trick alone for a little while and just come back to it later. If you force it, it might never work. I used to try 720s all the time and just had a horrible spin that would never work. Then I just didn't try them for a long time. Then one afternoon I tried a few and they just worked. I had no idea why, but I was psyched cause I had learned 720s.

Barspins are a fun one though, and I can see why you wanna learn them. I remember learning them flyout out of this 8' cement bowl. I would usually just jump a few time and try and pinch the seat to get a feel for it. Once I was ready, I just committed, pinched the seat and threw them. It's all about commitment with barspins, just be ready and toss those bars around. You'll get it.

ok thanks man!
i can throw them and catch them perfectly, but only 1 footed
ill keep trying

|

12/8/2009 8:50 AM

Do you like to keep your bike pretty dialed all the time? If so, how long do you spend on it to keep it that way?

|

"Oh You Mad Cuz I'm Stylin On You?"

12/8/2009 4:48 PM

Liam163 wrote:

Do you like to keep your bike pretty dialed all the time? If so, how long do you spend on it to keep it that way?

Hmmmm, this is another one I go through phases with. Sometimes I'm super adamant about my bike being dialed, especially the brakes and headset. But other times I enjoy a sketchy bike that makes all kinds of noise, hahaha. Most of the time I like it dialed though. I just get lazy and don't really feel like working on my bike. It's pretty embarrassing when someone else gets on my bike and can't believe I ride it the way it is.

|

12/10/2009 1:22 PM

do you plan on riding your whole life or are you trying to get a good job and ride but not as much? i love riding and never wanna go to college haha

|

12/10/2009 1:37 PM

So I read you love the 757, when's the next time your going to come here, I don't know if you heard or not but we have a nice indoor park now, you should come ride it! Also they are working on this box jump room, but it's about half way done at the moment. And thanks for the advice.

|

12/10/2009 3:30 PM

what do you feel about alot of people hating on haro?

|

Biggest troll.

12/11/2009 2:14 AM

How do you feel about Haro not being as big and popular as it was back in the old days?

|

12/11/2009 5:57 PM

aznsbmx? wrote:

How do you feel about Haro not being as big and popular as it was back in the old days?

old days hehe

|

"go high, touch the sky"