Rights against Police and Secuirity

Related:
Create New Tag

12/17/2015 3:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2015 3:20 PM

I am an upcoming street rider, and lately since I have been becoming more skilled and exploring the city more I have been getting fucked with by the pigs and securities more. I want to know what they aren't allowed to do or say so I wont be looking like a dumbass cuffed up for no reason. Thanks for your help and keep shredding.

|

12/31/2015 6:45 PM

Just leave and ride elsewhere. You're not going to be able to learn enough to counter anything they throw at you, and unless you are riding public property with no impact to anyone else then you are obliged to leave when directed to anyway

|

4/2/2016 9:14 AM

Yeah, privately owned/managed property is private and being on it without the consent of the owner is against the law and something you can be arrested for. Of course not all spots prohibit riding but if a cop or security tells you to leave a private spot leave or call a lawyer and be prepared to get booked. Its good to observe the area first as some might have a no Skateboarding sign that you can argue doesnt specifically say bikes. If it is a public place and you arent harming people then just keep riding cuz theyll be breaking the law if they arrest you. Just make sure first. Enjoy!

|

4/8/2016 6:34 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Yeah, privately owned/managed property is private and being on it without the consent of the owner is against the law and ...more

I would be cautious on the " If it is a public place and you arent harming people then just keep riding cuz theyll be breaking the law if they arrest you." thing, purely because they could get you for damaging public property (which is a legit charge-don't believe me, go dig a hole in a park or carve things into a playground. Hell, graffiti is often looked at as criminal damage to property. They CAN and WILL arrest you, especially if you ignore them like you described.

BE RESPECTFUL. That's the biggest thing. If they tell you to leave, absolutely leave, BUT I have found doing so NICELY and asking if they know of a place you can go where you won't get kicked out is a great way to start the conversation of what is and isn't OK.

In my experience, they often tell me to go to a local "no bikes allowed" park, so when I'd say "the city doesn't allow bikes there, but we want to change that, would you be willing to support the allowing of bikes there?" a lot of officers would say yes, mainly because most of the time they knew we were out riding and not trying to cause issue, we just have nowhere to go and that we aren't playing xbox or doing crack or something. Most officers don't give a crap what you're doing, they are just responding to the call because SOMEONE was annoyed enough to call. Hence why hit and run street is the best. Stop, hit the spot 3-5 times, move on. ALWAYS try to go outside of business hours too. Less chance of getting the call. Weekends are usually pretty good too.

If you are really concerned, get a police scanner app. Then you can listen in to see if you are gonna get booted, and roll out once you hear the call.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/30/2016 7:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2016 7:31 PM

#1. if you are under 18, you don't have any rights. No matter what TV, movies, music, pop culture, the news etc say. So don't deceive yourself about that.

Yeah...pretty much you have the right to be aware of the fact that most people see riding in and around public property is dangerous and destructive....especially if the riders are mouthy, loud, rude, smoking, drinking, destroying rails via grinding, tearing up grass, littering etc.

As Dave mentioned, if you are aware of how to interact with the community where you ride and be a liaison for the activity, you will get further. You might even come across the neighbor who seemed to be a jerk at first, but then - after some positive interaction - helps you build a half pipe in your back yard b/c he is a carpenter. Happened to us back when I was young.

It does suck that the small percentage of bad apples promotes a negative image, but riders falling into the stereotype doesn't help the cause either.

Be smart. If there are a ton of people using a public space, don't ride there. Don't "force" yourself into the space. Find another place, or observe the area for a couple of days to see when there is down time. If there is obvious damage being done to surfaces, don''t add to it....or better yet, do something to fix it.

think about it this way: how would you feel if someone came into your room, and started grinding on everything, or were knocking your stuff around...trying to outsmart or challenge the cops or security is counterproductive. It results in wasted time on your end, and the loss of places to ride for everyone since most communities will just close down or remove access to places to ride that become nuisances.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence