Pushing 40 years old...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/29/2017 8:11 AM

I would like some opinions please if I may. I am looking for a bike to just ride about. Too old for ramps and stuff. May jump off the odd kerb or so... Lol. Im about 12.5 stone and 5'6" and was looking at getting my self one of these
http://www.diamondback.co.uk/BMX/Product/?pc=1&pt=2&pg=18183

but wanted some opinions if this would be a good buy or fall apart/break under my weight...

|

6/29/2017 10:30 AM

Webbie,
Ive just done the same as my sone and daughter have just bought biks from ebay.
I got a wicked 2nd hand Haro for £25.....i cant see the point in spending big money as i am like you just going to jump or bunny hop the odd curb.

Have a look cos they got some nice Diamond backs on there.....oh and i am 44....having a mid life crisis but cheaper than a sports car !!

|

6/29/2017 10:37 AM

Thx for the reply bud. I've looked and nothing in my area on ebay sad I hear you though. Was looking at this as I don't buy new anymore due to family so wanted a to treat myself. I looking to use to keep fit and BMX are much better than mountain bikes etc imo.

|

6/29/2017 10:42 AM

You're right mate, too expensive now with having kids.
My wife thinks im mad but the kids love me coming out with them....i am even trying to teach my 11 yr old daughter how to bunny hop.
Its good to be a bit retro.....fed up of seeing carrera mountain bikes everywhere i go.

|

6/29/2017 10:46 AM

I know DB used to be good bikes but I have no clue nowadays. Hoping this will suit as it's not mega expensive.

|

6/29/2017 10:48 AM

It looks like a nice bike to be fair.....good pedigree too.
Have fun and enjoy.....apparently the bmx is having a big revival so we will defo see more of them about.

|

7/1/2017 12:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2017 1:10 AM

I'd personally look at buying 2nd hand off someone that tried getting back into the sport but never really used the bike and is selling up, check gumtree, you should be able to get "more bike" for the money, which means if/when you come to resell later on you aren't loosing out much cash as you will have already bought it at a reduced price, i bought mine for £40, it was a £450 WeThePeople bmx when new, you can get good deals on used bmx bikes here in the UK as 2nd hand market prices are way way lower than retail stuff.

i browsed around for a bike for about 6 months to get an idea of the 2nd hand market prices and found that anything more than 50% of what its retail value was tended to not sell, hence why i got mine for about 8% of what its retail value was when new, mine was a little more on the "cosmetically rough" side though hence the price, but its mechanically and structurally sound

as for diamondback being a good make they used to be years ago, but now i think they are just a budget bike maker, they might have some higher end stuff, but you never see anyone riding them, and i don't think they are as active in the BMX scene as they used to be.

Also i would say that bikes probably gonna be too small for you, its got a 19.5 top tube so your gonna feel pretty hunched up in that, your the same size as me so you should be looking around a 20.5 - 20.75 Top Tube size

|

7/1/2017 2:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I am looking for second hand now and also discovered that one would be a little too small

|

7/1/2017 7:10 AM

Webbie_Webb wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am looking for second hand now and also discovered that one would be a little too small

where in the UK are you?

|

7/1/2017 8:32 AM

Worcester how about you.

|

7/1/2017 12:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2017 12:55 PM

says on the left hand side, Glasgow, just keep an eye on your local gumtree ads, I'm 37 and started a few months ago, not been out on it too much as been having some shoulder issues, hitting the indoor park tommorow though

|